Preparation Section Coordinator; Laboratory Testing Organisation
Salary: £17,242.50 with shift allowance of 10% on top (nearly £20,000)
Hours: 37 per week Tuesday - Saturday (5.00 - 13.00)
Our Client, an international testing company is looking to appoint a Section Coordinator who will work as a vital part of the Sample Reception and Preparation team. This is a great role for someone who is wanting to work for a major global brand and work in a highly accredited UKAS 17025 setting.
This role will focus on the coordination of the sample reception workflow within the logging in area and will assign tasks to staff in the section and the preparation area.
The role holder will ensure that all samples are logged, prepared and delivered to the analytical sections in a timely manner or stored appropriately with due regard to Health, Safety, Environment and Quality standards, issues and audit improvement actions relating to the task.
- Allocates tasks for themselves and the team to log and prepare samples for analysis on a daily basis.
- Manage problems associated with missing samples, repeats, missing crates, and other issues.
- Manage the timely and accurate logging in and preparation of all samples as they customer requested.
- Ensure the temperature of the coldstore is accurately recorded on the worksheets.
- Determine and prioritise the logging and preparation of samples in accordance with time, priority and stability guidelines, ensuring that analytical laboratories are aware of these priorities.
- Organise and maintain a cleaning rota for the section.
- Maintain stock levels of consumables used in the department and replenish as required.
- Inform the Team Leader of low stock levels of consumables that require ordering.
- Troubleshoot when equipment is not performing satisfactorily (including PCs, label guns, balances, fume cabinets, barcode printers, photocopier etc).
- Check accuracy of other team member's work.
- Assist the Team Leader in the training of new members of staff.
- Carry out all basic laboratory techniques as defined in the training manual.
- Maintain the cleanliness of all work areas with regards to Health and Safety.
- Be aware of and conform to the Quality System and HS&E requirements specific to the work area including ISO17025, MCERTS and 14001.
- To work in a safe manner with due regard for both personal safety and the safety of others.
- If required to, assist in the investigation of any near misses, incidents or accidents. All witnessed accidents, incidents and near misses must be reported to the line manager.
- Educated to at least GCSE level in Science; however a Further Education qualification would be advantageous. Ideally the job holder will have some laboratory or production experience. Basic knowledge of chemistry and microbiology is an advantage as is an understanding of the regulations affecting our customers.
- Excellent communication skills are vital in order to effectively interact with team members and other department members. In addition problem-solving, organisation skills and the ability to prioritise are key.
- The successful candidate will be computer literate with experience of the Windows Office packages and laboratory information management systems such as Labware, and have the ability to take on new technology.
- The successful candidate will be competent with written and spoken English and will also have the ability to move and lift crates containing samples which may weigh up to 25kg.