End-to-end Category Management
- Undertake category assessments to generate innovative opportunities and robust strategic sourcing plans. Ensures value is maximised from the contract negotiation through the whole life cycle of the category.
External Market Expertise:
- Understand the category and provide leadership and insight for the business on all aspects of market dynamics, regulatory framework, suppliers and technical innovations.
- Report changes and updates through proactive governance.
- Source and procure a range of goods and services across one or more expenditure categories ensuring optimum value for money within defined service and quality criteria.
- Identify opportunities for, lead and evaluate competitive tenders and proposals for the supply of goods and services negotiating with suppliers on all commercial and contractual matters and applying judgement as to what constitutes an acceptable level of contractual risk and supply resilience.
- Provide support to the Category Manager in complex negotiations through data, market or other analysis.
- Draft, negotiate and obtain agreement to commercial contracts ensuring that operational and commercial risks to business are fully understood and minimised.
On-going improvements & delivery of value add:
- Achieve defined improvement to the bottom line and cost saving targets by examining total acquisition costs and working closely with internal stakeholders and suppliers.
- Forecast future expenditure patterns within key business segments, developing appropriate strategies to ensure budgeted value improvements are proactively identified and implemented.
- Challenge business plans where alternate opportunities exist to deliver higher value outcomes, ensuring all options have been duly evaluated.
- Within the Category Management framework, support the Category Manager in the development, building and maintenance of supplier engagement through appraisal and performance monitoring, value analysis, continuous improvement, supplier / supply base development, compliance and demand management.
- Coordinate multiple stakeholder interfaces/touch points across the business to ensure a consistent approach.
- Ensure compliance to contract terms, both legal and commercial (including value delivery) and management of contractual risk. Agree with the Category Manager, and/or stakeholders steps to ensure remediation or reduction.
- Provide an effective overview of supplier performance to contract and support operational teams, if performance issues arise.
- Support the Category Manager in resolving contractual and supplier disputes where they occur, protecting the interests of the business at all times. Engage legal team if required and gain remedial/recompense for the business if appropriate.
- Consult in the budgeting process in relation to supplier spend and engage on supplier cost saving initiatives, leading where appropriate.
- Challenge requirements and re-negotiate contracts in life and at renewal to optimise value and drive cost savings.
- Ensure robust working relationships with any pre-existing business-embedded SRM functions, creating an efficient and seamless flow of activity between the teams for the projects or categories being managed.