Deputy Group Technical Manager, Laboratory Testing /Contract Testing
Location: Liverpool, occasional overseas travel (visiting other teams within the group)
Salary: £55,000 CIRCA with competitive bonus structure
Our Client, a global testing organisation is looking to recruit for an experienced Technical Manager who will work a their modern site in Liverpool and play a vital role in managing a highly successful team with a company very much on the 'up'.
Whilst this role is UK based the role will require the post holder to travel from time to time to our overseas teams.
Supporting the Group Technical Manager in the development and delivery of the Group's analytical/ technical services by ensuring a high level of technical competency across the Group. Taking leadership in a variety of Group strategic initiatives will facilitate this improvement in the Group technical competency, as will being the key person in providing technical support to the UK and Overseas network of Laboratory and Country Managers regarding all matters technical.
The role will be achieved by:
· Managing the UK based Overseas Technical Team in the execution of their daily responsibilities through mentoring and troubleshooting, in a consultative supportive approach to management.
·Ensuring the UK based Overseas Technical Team are equipped to meet priorities.
·Report serious technical failings and areas of concern to the Group Technical Manager for action.
· Deliver PDRs for those staff under the post holder's responsibility. Agree achievable objectives with the Group Technical Manager.
· Participate in disciplinary and grievance meetings in-line with Company procedure and policy in consultati on with Human Resource.
· Participate in recruitment and interview initiatives in agreement with the Group Technical Manager.
· Hold regular fixed operational/technical meetings with the UK Overseas Technical Team, and Overseas Laboratory Management.
· Taking leadership in the overall delivery and execution of the Group Auditing Programme. Whether on site or in a remote capacity, in order to benchmark Group laboratory performance. Ensure all reports are completed and shared, in line with existing processes.
·Take a leadership role in the delivery and expansion of the scope of the Group Quality Exercise, in line with the requirements of the Group, in order to benchmark the network of laboratories.
·All non-conformances investigated to establish a root cause, with a view to improving method performance.
·Take a leadership role in routine, remote monitoring of weekly QC performance across the Laboratory network.
·Highlight areas of non-conformance and generate effective improvement solutions.
·Support proper delivery of the Group method validation protocol to mitigate any risk of poor performance when introducing new methods or enhancements to existing methods in routine use.
·Providing support for overseas laboratories undergoing external audits from local accreditation bodies with all reports and required actions recorded.
·Providing support for any method development projects conducted within the UK laboratory with a view to standardised method transfer to key overseas laboratories.
·Providing support to ensure all Group technical queries are resolved in a timely manner, with sufficient accuracy to be effective solutions to the issue presented.
·Supporting visits of UK technical specialists to overseas locations to develop the scope of new and existing Client laboratories.
·Taking a leadership role in ensuring the successful visits of key overseas colleagues to the UK for technical development and their personal development.
·Supporting in a technical capacity the development of new global outsourcing projects through the tender process to delivery of service. .
·Take a leadership role in ensuring they meet the Group technical strategic objectives.
· Will hold a Degree in a relevant/ Scientific-Chemistry or similar discipline
· Will have proven management experience within an XRF- XRD, ICP (metals, minerals) testing background. NB we are not looking for an Organic Technical Manager, this is more Inorganic focused.
· Must have at least a working knowledge of the principles of ISO/IEC 17025:2017.
· Will hold method development and method validation experience in said analysis.
· Strong leadership and influencing skills; with the ability to manage as part of a bigger group.
· Strong interpersonal skills and be able to engage with key clients and key stakeholders.
·Strong project management experience; with the ability to contribute effectively in the planning of new services, improvements etc.
·Will have a key eye for detail and conformance to ISO (and UKAS) standards.
·Advanced user of Microsoft Office packages, with an ability to use VBA as a desirable, but not essential skill.
· Ability to process large data sets to reach conclusions and suggest alternatives and improvements.
· Highly motivated with the ability to work under own initiative in a dynamic work environment with changing daily priorities.