Pre-construction Design Manager - Housing
£55,000 - £60,000 + Company benefits
My client are a well-established housing contractor and due to an increase in developments they are looking for an experienced pre construction Design Manager to join their team.
The Design manager will be required to manage various sites during the pre-construction phase covering the Merseyside area. The Pre-construction Design Manager will have involvement at pre-tender stage with the estimating team appraising tender documents from a technical perspective, as well as preparing technical feasibility surveys and reports for land led development opportunities.
The successful Design manager will need to have proven experience in identifying technical risks and associated costs. You will be responsible for appointing, briefing, managing and programming of works for the pre-construction team consisting of internal staff and external consultants. The pre-construction design manager is primarily involved in design management within pre planning and planning, with a supporting role in detailed design.
Responsibilities and skills
- Provision of land bid and tender stage appraisals identifying technical design risks and costs and value engineering options, as well as attendance at tender interviews.
- Management of the Architectural and Engineering design process and consultants during the pre-start process from final adjudication to site start.
- Provision of technical support and problem solving advice to site technical queries relative to NHBC, LABC Inspectors, Client's Clerk of Works and other statutory/regulatory bodies.
- Liaise with the Customer Account Managers over upcoming projects within pre planning stages, assisting in design planning and programme delivery
- Advice and brief the Estimator once a project has entered pricing during pre-planning and planning stages, providing design management support throughout estimating process
- Assist Customer Account Managers in design management during the feasibility and design, by technical review of drawings + documents.
- Arrange and Chair feasibility and planning Design Meetings with consultants and development team
- Attend monthly internal Development Team Meetings
- Support Design Managers during detailed design, assisting with early design production, pre-start planning condition discharge, drainage, highway and other statutory approvals as required.
- Assist Head of Design in Consultant Appointments and project design programming Design
- Responsibility for the selection and appointment of the internal design team consultants and maintaining relationships with them.
- Research and development with respect to compliance with new regulations and new methods of construction to develop more efficient design and build solutions to reduce time and improve profit.
- Appraise Planning, Building Control, Highway and infrastructure applications and liaise with relevant Officers, Inspectors and consultants to discharge conditions.
- Proven experience of managing professional consultants
- Thorough understanding of the design development process
- Broad construction/ design experience
- Proven experience of forging strong working relationships with internal and external customers
- Working knowledge of Building Regulations / NHBC and other good practice design guidance
- Good IT skills particularly Microsoft word/excel
- Excellent planning and programming skills
You must have an excellent design ability and details technical knowledge of planning, technical, architectural, civil engineering, and building construction is essential together with experience in the delivery of code for sustainable homes solutions. You will have experience in Authority and Utility Design requirements together with associated legislation within the construction industry. It will be a fast paced environment where each day brings new challenges as well as a competitive salary and benefits package.
If you are interested in this position, then please apply now by sending your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org and if you require any more information or call Lauren on 0151-737-5560