The Electrical Engineer - HV Cables role will be reporting to the Associate Electrical Engineer - HV Cables and will be responsible ensuring the quality and consistency of the teams output in the production and control of drawings and technical documents.
- Power to assist during the bid process in order to secure further work
Main responsibilities and accountabilities
The candidate must have experience in the production of all designs, calculations, reports & drawings associated with the new or modification of EHV underground cabling projects from 11kV - 400kV. This will cover the production of bonding/line diagrams, cable rating calculations, induced voltage calculations, short circuit force calculations, thermo-mechanical thrust calculations, pulling tension calculations, production of material specification lists.
The ideal candidate must have a reasonable level of maths and science, preferably from a power engineering background and have good communication skills. In the role they will manage the production through a robust checking process but must also develop drawing office standards, mentor and train the CAD technicians and when work dictates support the actual delivery of the outputs.
The candidate must be enthusiastic, mature enough to operate in a diverse team and work without full time supervision. This role can lead to many of the career paths for the employee as they develop through the business.
- BEng/Bsc in Electrical Engineering
- Working toward CEng status, however not essential
Ideal technical Skills Required
- Understanding of IEC 60287, IEC60853, IEC60840, IEC62271
- Experience in software packages such as MathCAD, CYMCAP, etc
- Experience in guiding CAD technician working in packages such, Microstation, Revit, AutoCAD, etc.
- Be proficient with associated cable technical specifications from clients such as National Grid, SSE, Scottish Power, UKPN, WPD, etc
- Good Computer and report writing skills
- Good interpersonal skills and the ability to work well within a team.
- Good attitude to obtaining new skills and capable at transferring existing skills to overcome new challenges
- Must be competent at creating and laying out quality drawings that contractors, suppliers and fabricators can understand
- Delivering project cable system design requirements, but not limited to:
- Current ratings (IEC60286)
- Forced ventilation design for cable tunnels
- Impressed voltage calculations
- Emergency, Cyclic & Short term overload ratings
- Cable crossing ratings
- Producing Bonding diagrams
- Producing Material Schedules & Technical specifications
- Thermo-mechanical design calculation
- Effective thermal resistivity calculations
- Induced voltage calculations
- Cable pulling tension calculations
- Short circuit current rating and electromotive force calculations
- Producing Joint bay, trench, CSE, cable routing designs (concept & detailed)
- SVL (Sheath Voltage Limiter) sizing
- EMF plots
- Preparation, checking and/or approval of feasibility studies, outline and detailed design technical reports and other written documents.
- Design, checking and approval of detail allocation and construction design drawings.
- Production and approval of design concepts, drawings, specifications and other technical documents.
- Management of teams of engineers and external suppliers.
- Delivery of work to programme, budget and specification.
- Take part in Design & HAZID (hazards in design) reviews as appropriate
- The adherence to and control of documents and drawings in accordance with management procedures.
- Design input/output within the designated risk management process.
- Accept ownership of work to be done (i.e. being required to undertake specific actions within an agreed job boundary, the execution of a delegated task, activity or process).