Main Purpose of the Role
Reporting to the Operation Manager of the Branch, the Lab manager's role is to manage the calibration and repair activity within the branch and to guide and act as a mentor to the engineering departments to ensure that they deliver a world class service, providing high quality information and support.
The Laboratory Manager will ensure the smooth every day running of the departments, ensuring that KPI's are met and key objectives are reached and maintained.
Oversee the engineering processes within the branch.
Responsible for supervision and motivation of staff, planning of daily work schedule, preparation and provision of technical quotes and test specifications, handling technical enquiries, liaison with clients, receive and register any work as necessary, complete quality plans, test schedules, technical reports and be responsible for the profitable delivery of all existing and future programmes of work within your areas of responsibility.
Participate in external & internal audits within the customer/ company's facilities. Also report future audits to the Quality Manager in line with programme requirements.
Ensure that mandatory and legislative QH&S/HS&E aspects of work are implemented at all times and that adequate training and dissemination of knowledge on safety and other general matters is given to staff under your control on and off site
Responsible for the technical and administrative maintenance and calibration of all equipment, ensure that you and staff under your control execute all work properly and safely to the correct procedure using the appropriate equipment.
Endeavour to complete all work within the budget costs and target dates and ensure proper control and accounting of work in progress is maintained and that all information required for charging the customer is available.
Liaise with customer quality departments to ensure UKAS and customer approvals are adhered to and ensure audit NCRs or observations are closed out to programme.
* Excellent communication and people management skills
* Technical experience over a number of different disciplines within the industry
* Change management - Experience in implementing & driving change to increase efficiency and productivity
* People development - ensure that the engineering staff learn new skills and technologies
* Team player; develop effective working relationships at all levels within the branch and with the other UK branches.
* Ability to persuade and influence others
* Proactive with the ability to make key decisions for the business in line with UK strategy
* Proficient in Excel, Power Point and Word, EMS/Beaver
* Some experience of LEAN and Six Sigma methodologies would be an asset.