M&E Estimator - Rail
My client Specialise in Electrical, Signaling and Power works across the Rail Infrastructure.
Through innovation and versatility, they are one of the UK’s most successful companies operating in the fields of signalling, electrical engineering and specialist building services. Their directly employed team of over 140 project managers, engineers and technicians are dedicated and experienced in delivering safe and technically excellent installations. They focus on training and development and ensure that their talented engineers and technicians remain as industry leaders and experts in their specific technical fields.
They are highly skilled in delivering HV, LV and DC electrical, signalling installation and testing works. They also have extensive experience in preparing and carrying out enabling works, along with providing consultancy services and functional support to clients in the early stages of construction.
To support the Pre-Construction team in providing a timely and professional estimating service across both Underground, Network Rail and Commercial projects.
- Compiling estimates, working out how much it will cost to provide the client with products or services.
- Assessing materials, labour and equipment required and analysing different quotes from sub-contractors and suppliers.
- Be able to work from a bill of quantities or just a set of drawings from the client.
- Provide prices for everything from a one-off scheme to maintenance projects which will be completed over several years.
- Ability to produce and author Bid deliverables including methodologies.
- Combine site experience with quantity surveying skills, commercial acumen and a mind capable of financial analysis.
- Work closely with the Planning team in relation to work sequencing and programmes.
- Get the best price that will win the contract in a competitive bidding situation, while ensuring that the contract can be carried out profitably. The best price isn’t always the lowest one, clients now award contracts based on quality of the services offered, as well as cost. So when bidding for new works a quality submission is required along with the estimated price.
- An appreciation of data confidentiality and be aware of things like price trends and regulations.
- Deadlines can mean long hours, be methodical, keep good records, understand Client documents, seek and take advice, and challenge yourself and others
- Spend most of the time in the office, but not always 9 to 5. The pressure and fixed nature of deadlines for tender submissions means that late nights may sometimes be needed.
- Working within a team environment, but also be able to use their own initiative.
- Overnight stays are rare, but occasionally may need to travel to meet clients on site.
- Ad hoc tasks as required by the department
- Good knowledge and experience of M&E Estimating preferably within TFL and/or Network Rail.
- Experience of commercial projects, civil works, Heating & Ventilating and High Voltage would be advantageous.
- Excellent communication skills both verbal and written
- The ability to manage projects and meet tight deadlines.
- Enthusiastic, proactive team player
- Strong problem solving ability and a keen attention to detail
- Organisational and presentational skills are crucial
- Excellent IT Skills