Mechanical design engineer
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
As a Mechanical Design Engineer you will work as part of a multi-disciplined Engineering Department to design, develop and maintain craft systems, fabrications and assemblies in the form of 3D models, drawings and documentation to required specifications. The role will involve working on products and projects from concept to completion, including implementation and testing. Frequent collaboration between the purchasing, production and design and development teams will be required to ensure smooth product development and manufacture. The role demands regular interaction with clients, suppliers and contractors. Focus will be on, safety, reliability, quality and functionality.
The Mechanical Design Engineer's role is varied and requires expertise in support of the following
- The ability to aquire an in depth understanding of the Company's technology and products, and keep up to date with related mechanical / marine engineering technologies and production techniques.
- The ability to read and interpret sales briefings and technical specifications.
- Designing and developing high quality and innovative products to meet the customer and our technical and commercial requirements.
- Working closely within a multi-disciplined team of Engineers, Project engineers, project managers, Naval Architects and Workshop personnel.
- Producing and maintaining accurate technical drawings and documentation during the design of new and existing product lines and in line with British and European standards.
- Producing technical reports in support of your work and based on research, design concepts, structural analysis and calculation, procurement information and design estimations where necessary.
- Understanding of drawing and document control and revision procedures
- Developing composite, machined, sheet metal and welded fabrications in line with the abilities of our fabricators.
- Working to maintain ISO 9001 QMS accreditation.
COMPETENCE, KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- The Mechanical Design Engineer will ideally have design engineering experience within the marine or automotive industry. Experience of Solidworks CAD software is required, however experience with certain similar 3D modelling packages within a commercial role may be acceptable.
- Good communication skills and attention to detail are a necessity.
- The successful candidate should have a degree in Engineering or within a closely related and relevant field or HND level with significant relevant experience
- A full valid driving licence.