An excellent opportunity has arisen to join one of the UKs leading Food Processing Plants in the Manchester area, providing a variety of products to their client base across the UK. We are currently recruiting for an Operations Manager who would be interested in full time basis.
The purpose of the role is to be responsible for motivating, engaging, leading and managing the Operations Management Team to effectively achieve the plan, proactively manage labour and material resources, ensure adherence to quality, food safety, health & Safety and GMP standards and use management information to drive and support a CI Culture.
Base working hours; Monday to Friday 06.00 – 16.00 Sat 07.00 – 13.00 The role will demand a flexible approach to deliver the needs of the business
Main Responsibilities will include
Managing Team Performance to achieve the Business Plan
- Ensure individuals are clear on what’s expected of them, they have the tools, knowledge and skills to be able to do the job and they receive regular useful feedback and encouragement.
- Ensure key performance targets, standards and objectives are set, clearly communicated, are understood and owned.
- Ensure performance and development reviews are carried out in line with the agreed business process for your reports and your area of responsibility.
- Ensure training and development needs are identified and are acted on in a planned way. Liaise with relevant support resources as required i.e., training department.
- Be prepared to coach, mentor and train your team on a timely basis.
- Proactively build an engaged and effective team that is accountable and welcomes responsibility.
- Create and manage a succession plan that protects the business, drives it forward and develops individuals and enables them to utilise their strengths.
- Positively acknowledge good performance and constructively deal with poor performance utilising, if appropriate, the relevant business processes.
- Proactively role model and acknowledge good behaviour. Deal with poor behaviour and non-compliance issues on a timely basis utilising, if appropriate, relevant business processes.
- Engage, facilitate and manage your team through change; effectively and paced appropriately.
Managing Communication and Management Information to Maximize Performance
- Proactively drive, promote, support and engage in the formal business employee two-way communication processes to deliver value added engagement and continuous improvement.
- Ensure through your team that S&OP’s, specifications and Quality Stds are available, current and understood within your area of responsibility.
- Management of labour, materials, waste, health & safety, quality and GMP to agreed standards through your team.[Inc. accident & near miss reporting , holiday cover and investigations]
- Ensure communications; informal, formal, written and verbal, are respectful, factual, ‘toned’ appropriately and support a culture that is; engaging, constructive and has a zero tolerance to bullying and harassment.
- Role model and encourage your team to build both good working relationships and constructive, useful communication lines cross functionally, with your Line Manager, within your peer group and with the individuals you are responsible for.
- Ensure the full utilisation of management information through access to, accurate completion of, understanding of relevant reports to manage performance, drive improvement and prioritise focus.
- Able to carry out and facilitate site visits within your area of responsibility that support and represent both the IML and Customer brand effectively.
Managing Culture to Support Effective and Appropriate Ways of Working
- Create an environment and way of working that fully promotes a culture of; honesty, equality and diversity, Quality driven, CI, planned rather than reactive, process discipline, cross functional collaboration, effective team working, engagement, doing what we say we are going to do, attention to detail and customer focus.
Key Performance Indicators include
- lan Adherence
- Labour utilisation
- Material utilisation
- Health & Safety, Quality and GMP targets, measures and audit results
- Management to Budget
Competencies and Personal Characteristics
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Quality focussed
- Operates with integrity and does what they say they are going to
- Welcomes accountability and takes responsibility
- Ability to plan, prioritise, organise well and deliver to agreed deadlines.
- Is able to delegate well and appropriately to build capability and get the job done effectively
- Confidential and professional approach
- Ability to work well under pressure
- Flexible in approach to accommodate business needs
- Effective communicator [verbal and written] and good at hearing
- Team Player who builds good working relationships at all levels and collaborates cross functionally
- Able to work on own initiative, demonstrates good judgement and makes sound timely decisions
- Works to ensure that where ever possible tasks carried out minimise environmental impact
- Has a CI mind-set, the ability to challenge the status quo constructively and drive Continuous Improvement
- Good at problem solving and prefers this to be proactively applied
- Role models behaviours and ways of working we value as a business
- Engages, motivates and effectively manages individuals and teams
- Knowledge of Customer, Products and Brand Values
- It literate