Russell Taylor is proud to be working with a key client within the nuclear industry who are looking for a Planner to join their Defence Sector.
Our client helps to improve people's lives by deploying technology-based engineering solutions to meet urgent national needs across the UK's energy, water, and transportation infrastructures.
They are looking to expand their team in the Defence sector including works in the Reading area and the Southwest. The scope of works could include Programme Management, Civils Construction, Building Services (M&E), Instrumentation and Control Systems.
Potential candidates for this role have Security Clearance to be able to be considered.
This role is to work under the supervision of the Senior planner and specific work package manager to develop a detailed delivery & Procurement schedule for projects. The working location will involve a mixture of site based and working from home - to be confirmed on a project-by-project basis.
- To manage the program for the project or part of project to which you are assigned
- To enforce our client & the Intelligent client's policies and procedures across the project
- To coach the operational project teams on planning elements of their work and integrate and communicate effectively with the project team
- Develop the instrumentation schedule across the project through interactive planning sessions
- Interface directly with supply Chain and undertake regular physical review & challenge of claimed progress in areas both on and offsite
- Manage the planning at all stages of a project, identifying any rectification action required and influencing the parties responsible to complete these actions
- Lead the generation of schedules (and their re-baselining where required) involving the project team to give understanding, buy-in and commitment
- Provide coaching to the wider operational teams to enable them to work more effectively and with minimum direct planner support, hence improving overall efficiency
- Application of technical and construction knowledge to produce integrated programs
- Establishment of accurate and up-to-date programme metrics to define the status of projects across the portfolio
- Work closely with the Project Manager and QS to maximise the potential of each project, attend site meetings when necessary to discuss and confirm progress.
- Coordinate the supply chain to achieve production targets and key milestones
- Act as the 'conscience' of the project, accurately defining project programme status
- Develop and maintain the Rules of Credit for progress capture
- Produce change requests and supporting data for any change of project baselines
- Assess Contractor monthly Programmes for Acceptance
- Manage schedule-related elements of the risk mitigation plan / opportunity plan
- Collect and maintain schedule data within the project library
- Intervene where required to refocus planning efforts in the recovery or redirection of projects and develop recovery plans / review supply chain recovery plans.
- Qualifications in Electrical / M&E Engineering, project or construction management, or equivalent vocational training and experience is desirable
- Member of an appropriate professional body is desirable (ACostE, APM etc.)
- Previous experience in a Planning role
- Primavera P6 expert
- Acumen Fuse user experience desirable
- Nuclear experience desirable
- Construction experience desirable
- Earned Value Management
- Experience of MS Excel
- Undertake planning verification of Supply chain activities and verify claimed monthly progress and YE progress
- An ability to work in a partnering environment with the client
- Previous site experience in delivering projects to programme
- Understand Planning and Construction processes and be able to recommend methods of construction and able to seek opportunities and problem solve with the design & engineering team and supply chain to identify programme and production opportunities.
- Ability to integrate with M&E, General building and complex Plant work packages to achieve programme
- Experienced in the implementation and use of earned value analysis (schedule and performance management)
- Strong knowledge and understanding of use of planning tools & techniques
- Proficient with Primavera P6 in an Enterprise environment
- Demonstrable previous experience of Instrumentation planning and knowledge of construction methods and processes
- Skilled in progress interrogation and scrutiny of / challenging contractor schedules
- Close working with supply chain / internal project managers to develop / improve logic sequence
- Experience of Developing WBS / OBS and development of schedules from limited information
- Experience of Critical Path Analysis / late starts early starts / finishes
- Understanding and interpreting Float Erosion and Critical activities
- Managing Baselines
- Development of What-if scenarios for exploring sequence effects on the schedule
- Ability to interpret project documentation