Process Chemist: Hazardous and non-Hazardous waste
Location: Mirfield, Yorkshire
Salary: £26,000 - £28,000 DOE
Hours: Days, Monday - Friday 45 hours per week (8.00 - 17.00); overtime available if required
Our Client is an established, expanding waste management company specializing in providing bulk hazardous and non-hazardous waste transport, treatment, disposal, and recycling services to business customers. They are looking to appoint an experienced Process Chemist, who will work as a vital part of the continued testing, hazardous waste handling and scale up. This is a new role for this company and they have diversified their laboratory and technical divisions; meaning this role will carry plenty of career scope and career growth.
The Process chemist will work at their waste treatment site treating various wastes liquids/sludge; and their duties will be as follows:
- Planning of treatment batches including mock treatments at laboratory scale. Monitoring and assisting with the production of the batch as planned to include operating the plant as necessary.
- Maintaining records of waste streams treated through the plant to allow the inventory to be kept up to date. Ensuring all reactor batches are sampled and analysed in a timely manner by liaising with the laboratory chemists and performing analysis as required.
- Compatibility testing for bulk storage and maintenance of tank mock samples. Maintaining records of bulk storage contents including waste materials and volumes.
- Ensuring that the oldest waste streams are prioritised for batching and that the trade effluent discharge consent is considered in all batching decisions.
- Sampling of final effluent tanks and analysis of the samples where required.
- Calculating discharge volumes to meet all discharge parameters of both the Permit and trade effluent consent.
- Authorising and monitoring trade effluent discharge. Collecting trade effluent composite samples and ensuring they are analysed and stored appropriately. Maintaining records of trade effluent discharge and analysis.
- Reporting any trade effluent breaches to Management team.
- Liaising with the management team regarding bookings for waste in to the facility. Assisting with pre-acceptance and acceptance analysis of wastes for treatment through the plant and all associated documentation as necessary.
We are looking for a person with a proven track record and ability to formulate batches that will treat and produce a filter cake and a trade effluent to specification.
- Will hold a Degree in a relevant scientific- Chemistry based discipline
- Will be an experienced Process Chemist, and have experience within the treatment of hazardous and non-hazardous waste effluents/liquids industry
- Will have experience of laboratory based test work using instrumentation and techniques like GC, XRF and IPC.