Process Chemist/Scale up Chemist, calorimetry
Hours: Days Monday - Friday
Salary: £35,000 - £40,000 DOE
Additional: Private Medical (BUPA), double pension contribution upto 10%, free parking
Relocation: Relocation package available
Our Client, a Global Chemical company are expanding rapidly and looking to recruit for an experienced Process Chemist who will be responsible for the Calorimetry unit and working with brand new - state of the art equipment. This company offer a very competitive renumeration package alongside lots of career development plans and ongoing training.
- To provide process development and optimisation support work through experimental thermochemistry (calorimetry) within the Group Technology team for new and current products
- To lead and manage projects coming from Group Technology's NPD programme, focussing on process development and optimisation and closely liaising with the development managers, specialists & chemists, the pilot plant and the Operations teams.
- To support the Group Operations team related to calorimetry and other relevant hazard / safety information, contributing to process safety management across the group
- To manage and run Group Technology's calorimetry set up and become the company expert in this field by conducting day-to-day experiments requiring a high degree of technical understanding of chemistry and process technology using appropriate safety guidelines consistent with safety practices.
- To manage aspects of the polymer synthesis work required to closely align with the calorimetry work, reporting back to the lead development specialist or chemist.
- Working alongside the development specialists and chemists, to create a manufacturing strategy for NPD and support the scale up processes from the lab through to the pilot facilities and the handover to Operations for commercially viable large-scale operations.
- To assess safety of any new raw materials through COSHH assessments, and new equipment and processes through HAZOP by supporting thermophysical, thermodynamic and kinetic properties measurements
- To develop, design and optimise new ideas and techniques for process improvements and optimisations of new and existing products as well as new methods development.
- To provide support and expertise to Group Operations contributing to their process safety management strategy and initiatives
- To liaise with external companies and experts in the field providing additional capability and resources to enable further in-depth studies complementing the internal work, ensuring that such work is managed in a timely manner and to the agreed budget.
- To ensure that all assigned work is delivered against agreed timeframes meeting all associated requirements, objectives and targets are fully met and communicated to the relevant stakeholders. Prepare formal, indexed technical reports based on test findings.
- Fully contribute to data analysis and interpretation of the data created to enable key decisions to be made.
- To liaise with customers, suppliers, trade associations, academic bodies etc., to maintain knowledge and understanding of the process chemistry field and to represent the company technically.
- Will hold a minimum BSc qualification/Degree in a Chemistry based discipline (preferred to Chemical Engineering background for this role).
- Experience using experimental thermochemistry (calorimetry) is essential.
- The ideal Candidate will have industry experience working in a Chemical setting (ideally polymer based).
- Strong IT based skills (Excel etc); solid report writing skills.
- Hazop/ COSHH assessment experience would be preferred.
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills.