I am currently recruiting for an experienced QS/ Estimator to join a well established regional contractor on a permanent basis.
The contractor works across a diverse range of market sectors which include Education, Local Government, retail, NHS, leisure, nuclear and the ministry of defence, and continue to offer clients an ever expanding and comprehensive range of services. This particular position will be based in the Small Works department managing multiple projects from £10k - £1m.
To undertake a full range of pre-and post contract quantity surveying duties whilst providing guidance and mentoring to other members of the commercial team. To manage development, implementation and monitoring of all construction projects and maintenance framework agreements.
Manage costs relating to construction projects from inception to final account to efficiently control the cost of a project and enhance value for money whilst ensuring the projects meet all legal and quality assurance requirements. Prepare Bills of Quantities, Schedules of Works, Specifications and all contract documentation, ensuring that these comply with the project brief and timescale, budget estimates, all relevant legislation, regulations and policies. Manage associated contractual issues, these will include:
• Compilation of competitive tenders, making recommendations and reporting thereon
• Determining the extent and value of building work executed for interim payments to the client organisation
• Assessing claims and management of change control
• Providing professional feedback to the Operations Director
• Providing professional advice on contractual matters
• Monitoring expenditure and providing financial statements and associated information
• Agreeing final accounts with client organisation and auditing the account to ensure we meet the required gross margin.
2. Review and provide advice on specifications and contract documentation in-conjunction with the Operational department dealing with all the reactive and planned maintenance, major and minor construction projects.
3. Oversee designated projects and act as QS lead working closely with colleagues to ensure smooth and timely progress of projects and also ensure compliance with all necessary legislation and other requirements.
Prepare preliminary estimates, cost plans, feasibility studies including advising clients on economical construction methods, procurement, programming and contract matters, to enable costs to be accurately advised to clients.
5. Assist with the introduction and development of information technology/management systems in order to optimise and improve working practices and procedures and assist in the training others in the use of these systems.
6. Prepare reports with recommendations on new work and work in progress for the Senior Management Team so that progress can be monitored and appropriate decisions made.
7. Undertake a range of related duties that will contribute to the provision of a comprehensive quantity surveying service to clients, these will include:-
• Conducting feasibility studies to estimate materials, time and labour costs
• Preparing, negotiating and analysing costs for tenders and contracts
• Coordination of work effort
• Advising on a range of legal and contractual issues
• Value of completed work and arranging payments
Skills & Knowledge
• Methodical way of thinking
• Excellent knowledge of construction
• Excellent problem solving skills
• Excellent financial and numeracy management skills
• Excellent communication and negotiating skills
• An ability to absorb complex information and assess requirements readily
• Computer literate
• A clear understanding of HSE, Building Regulations and legal requirements
• In depth knowledge of contract administration, NEC Form of Contract, JCT Design and Build, Intermediate and Minor Works Forms of Contract. In-depth knowledge of Standard Method of Measurement and Codes of Procedure for Quantity Surveying Practice
Degree in Quantity Surveying
Minimum of 4 years’ experience as a Quantity Surveyor
Good candidates will demonstrate the following:
Time Management & Organisation
This is a fast-paced environment that requires a well organised person with excellent time
Experienced in Microsoft Office applications including Excel, Outlook and Word
If you have the skills and experience outlined above and would like to be considered for this position please apply now or contact Aisling Ward on 01517375560 for more information.