Russell Taylor are actively recruiting for a Research and Development Manager to lead an engineering research team in developing technologies within the process industrial control and monitoring markets.
The R&D Manager is responsible for leading a core team of research engineers whilst partnering with universities and technology providers to develop technologies up to technology readiness level 4. The successful candidate will have a flair for innovation coupled with a drive for success - a clear communicator at all levels who is always thinking ahead.
* Lead a core multidisciplinary team of research engineers supported by secondments from other engineering teams on a project by project basis.
* Develop a research project framework with clear objectives and milestones up to TRL 4
* Develop partnerships with Universities and Technology partners.
* Collaborate with the company's engineering design managers locally and around the world to enable successful innovations to be developed into products and solutions.
* Ensure that research is well documented and presented to a technical and non-technical audience.
* Manage the patent portfolio, patent searches and support the application of new patents.
* Manage applications for research funding.
* Manage the Innovation funnel through the collation, collaboration and filtering of ideas from a broad range of sources.
* Work with business development, market, product and operations managers to identify key customer and operational dilemmas.
* Undertake Technology Readiness reviews to assess the status of each project or idea.
* Work closely with test and development teams to practically build and assess concepts against theoretical models and simulations.
* Liaison with partners, customers and other departments throughout the business including such visits as may be required both in the UK and overseas.
* Passion for emerging technologies and willingness to embrace new skills.
* Ability to work to tight time and cost targets is essential.
* Proactive approach to work with good organisational and planning skills.
* Experience of managing the development and introduction of complex mechatronic based embedded systems.
* A high level of interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate technical detail to a range of technical and non-technical people.
Functional / Technical Competencies:
* Minimum Hons Degree or equivalent in Mechanical, Electronic or Mechatronic Engineering
* Experience in leading a research team and process.
* Experience in facilitating the generation of ideas and filtering.
* Understanding of patents and the patent application process.
* Knowledge of, or experience of development in following fields would be desirable:
o Electronics Power electronics/motor drives, Embedded microcontrollers
o Mechanical Actuation systems, mechanisms, FEA, housings.
o Regulation: Hazardous Area, Electrical Safety, Functional Safety, EMC
o Environments: Heavy industrial, extreme temperatures.