Section Head, GC / UKAS testing
Salary: Highly competitive DOE
Report to: Laboratory Manager
Our Client, a national testing company - part of a massive group; is looking to recruit for an experienced Section Head / TL for their state of the art laboratory testing facility in Bedfordshire. Our client boasts an impressive range of testing services and they offer solutions across various testing applications; the company itself continues to grow and they are a real player in their marketplace.
- Leading the GC Section to ensure that all analysis is completed according to customer required timeframes and to the required quality standards.
- Applies advanced analytical skills to implement assigned projects, and to identify and trouble-shoot situations needing special attention.
- Responsible for technical performance of methodology within their Section, ensuring that all methods are fit for purpose, robust and employ the most appropriate techniques and instrumentation to maintain competitive advantage within the analytical market.
- Responsible for the development, optimisation and validation of methods for analysis of a range of trace and ultra-trace environmental contaminants in complex matrices.
- Responsible for scheduling routine and non-routine maintenance of analytical equipment.as well as being the principal source of technical advice on troubleshooting instruments and/or methods.
- Provides technical oversight for the Section, providing technical guidance to staff working within the Section.
- Responsible for overseeing training and development of Analysts and Extractors working within the Section.
- Responsible for ensuring performance appraisals for all staff within the Section are conducted according to business requirements.
- Responsible for ensuring that staff within the Section follow all necessary quality requirements.
- Responsible for ensuring all data produced by other analysts is subject to technical review prior to being uploaded to LIMS.
- May be required to liaise with customers to provide technical expertise.
- Monitor and review new technologies and provide a horizon scanning function for emerging technologies.
- Developing new methods and analysis suites which ensure differentiation from other laboratories and which make a material impact on the profitability of the business
- Ensuring at all times that all work is conducted in line with the Client- Quality and Health and Safety management systems.
- Significant demonstrable experience (minimum 5 years) working at a senior level within an commercial testing laboratory, preferably within the environmental sector.
- Strong technical background and understanding gained from working with single and triple quadrupole GC-MS systems operating in both EI and CI ionisation modes
- Proven experience of developing, implementing and validating testing methods using single and/or triple quadrupole GC-MS systems.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver specific projects and/or tasks to agreed deadlines.
- Demonstrated flexibility in analytical approach and ability to cope with high throughput and varied analysis in a fast-paced environment.
- Significant demonstrable experience of conducting routine maintenance and troubleshooting of single and triple quadrupole GC-MS systems.
- Experience of working under laboratory quality assurance programs e.g. ISO 17025 and proven ability to meet external accreditation requirements.
- Exceptional time management skills, attention to detail and ability to cope under pressure.
- Ability to manage multiple competing priorities according to business needs and customer requirements.
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills.
- Experience of managing a team of analysts, including conducting staff performance reviews.
- Experience of training and mentoring junior staff.
- Experience using Agilent Chemstation and Masshunter software would be an advantage, but not essential.
- Experience using other types of GC systems and associated techniques, e.g. GC-FID, GC-TEA, Gerstel Headspace systems would be an advantage, but not essential.