Senior Mechanical Engineer - Robotics
My client are a dynamic and growing robotics design and consultancy company based in Cambridge, UK. They are active in a number of UK and EU funded R&D projects and developing innovative mobile robots for niche and challenging operational environments.
They are looking for a self-motivated and experienced mechanical engineer with strong practical competencies to accelerate the impact of their work in new and challenging real-world application scenarios. You will be responsible for developing and/or researching mechanisms and mechanical components for robots and sub-systems with a focus on locomotion of mobile robots including climbing applications using different adhesion technologies (magnetic and vacuum suction). This is a fantastic opportunity to join one of the UK's premier established SMEs which is currently focusing on hazardous and now also evolving to new emerging service robot domains. You will be working in the R&D technical team specialising in detailed electronic, mechanical, software and systems design to meet emerging regulatory requirements especially for close human-robot collaboration applications.
Contribute to R&D project teams to design and develop needed optimised mechanisms and mechanical engineering solutions for the real-world automation problems being addressed
Support technical developments as needed and produce documents, presentations, project plans, etc. as required
Test and validate designs/ solutions developed
Troubleshoot a wide-variety of technical and non-technical issues which might occur and the necessary remedial steps needed in the various sub-systems of the robots
Collaborate with various teams to maintain coherent approach to robot system development within the company and in the external partnerships
Collaborate with partners as needed for progressing project work plans, attending meetings, etc.
1. Excellent first degree in Mechanical, Mechatronics or related discipline
2. Masters or PhD degree in Mechanical Engineering or Robotics or significant industrial experience of development of robots and/or autonomous vehicle systems
3. Significant experience of robots and robotic systems design covering as many phases of the full robot design cycle covering the following parts:
formulating design specifications via detailed modelling and simulations and engagement with end users
performing conceptual designs to identify best option to pursue with experimental testing by taking into account a wide variety of design constraints and requirements. These include adhesion and locomotion mechanisms, tasks to be performed, environmental conditions, energy usage, materials, thermodynamics, technology readiness levels and desired goals
performing detailed design of concept option selected
Build and test alpha prototype sub-systems and full robots.
4. Detailed knowledge and experience of robot kinematics and dynamics analysis and design
5. Experience in designing robotic systems (articulated mechanisms, manipulators, end effectors, grippers, etc.)
6. Expertise in Solidworks (main software used) or similar and deep understanding and experience of designing suspension and locomotion systems for mobile platforms
7. Expertise in creating 2D drawings for manufacture (DFM) to ISO 8888 (Old BS 308).
8. Performing structural analysis (Solidworks simulation, ANSYS and Workbench is required).
9. Experience in part manufacturing (3D printing, cooperation with subcontractors responsible for mechanical machining), material selection, and tolerances to produce most suitable and cost effective solutions
10. Knowledge of using Gazebo simulation to test robotic designs in virtual environment is a plus.
11. Knowledge of specific applications sectors would be an advantage, e.g. NDT applications, human biomechanics, robot safety regulations, medical robots, wearable exoskeletons, etc.
12. Strong communicator (English), additional language skills are welcome
There is a competitive basic salary on offer dependant on experience, which will be regularly reviewed. Company pension scheme and 25 days holiday + bank holidays on offer.
Apply now for this fantastic opportunity with a cover letter outlining your relevant experience!