Senior Process/ NPD Chemist - Medical Devices
Location: Swindon 3 days per week initially, moving to full time North Yorkshire after 12/18 months.
Salary: Upto £40,000 PA DOE.
Additional: Upto 5% bonus, Pension - EE 3%, ER 6% or EE 4%, ER 8%, 4x annual salary life assurance
Cont… BUPA private medical care, canteen, and gym onsite
Hours: Monday - Thursday (8.30 - 16:30), Friday (8:30 - 13:30)
Travel: A minimum of 3 days a week required at the Swindon site for the first few months, which will slowly decrease, this is required for the southern site closure (tech transfer); and oversight of this.
Our Client, an established/global medical devices company currently experiencing major growth; is looking to recruit for an experienced Development Chemist who will play a vital role in the continued developments into this specific product range from concept - launch. In return the successful candidate will be rewarded with a competitive renumeration package alongside being given the autonomy and budget to excel in this role.
- Subject matter expert for hydrogel product portfolio.
- Managing two analysts and lab technicians
- Collaborate with innovation and commercial to identify new product opportunities and create solutions to meet customer requirements.
- Formulate and / or design new hydrogel based products to come up with innovative solutions to unmet needs.
- Evaluate research tools and emerging technologies.
- Provide prospective research services to customers.
- Respond to customer service requests for technical support and product information. Coordinate customer relations where required.
- Assure competitive data and claims support data are comprehensive and readily available.
- Supervise research and development team members. Identify and promote professional growth opportunities for R&D reports.
- Lead business critical projects to replace discontinued raw materials, ensuring no impact to product quality and functionality and no disruption to product supply.
- Provide technical expertise to rapidly resolve manufacturing processing issues; facilitate process improvements, deliver cost saving initiatives and implement technical transfers.
- Oversee maintenance of laboratory equipment and infrastructure in optimal working conditions; including ensuring compliance with applicable health and safety guidelines.
- Responsible for managing technical reports and presenting on various R&D activities.
- Develop and oversee policies/procedures where required.
- Will ideally hold a PhD, MSc or very minimum BSc in Chemistry or Chemical Engineering
- Adhesives/ Coatings / Polymers -formulation, scale up - experience is preferable- industrial experience/ not limited to research); ideally within a Medical Devices/ iso13485 setting although this is not essential.
- Organic Chemists, Polymer Chemists, Process Chemists and Production Chemists will be considered for this position.
- You must be able to produce prototypes, running lab scale trials, scale up production level and take it through validation (again adhesives/ coatings or polymer based).
- Someone with a commercial understanding/ working to budgets and deadlines and will ideally have supervisory experience too.
- STRONG INTERPERSONAL skills required for this position.