I am looking for a software engineer to provide and design solutions, and through life engineering to support commercial and defence product ranges working as the technical lead for the software engineering team. You will be working on the software for submarine rescue systems based in Aberdeen within the Defence sector
This is a very exciting workload and can vary from creating software for new product design to meet client or internal specifications through to supporting an existing client's request to upgrade or change software in the field. This includes the maintenance of an extensive library of legacy code.
In addition to the technical requirements above the Senior Engineer role also requires a level of management and leadership to ensure the team is delivering to meet departmental and company expectations.
In this role you will:
* Provide software engineering design input to new products.
* Provide software engineering support to the existing product range.
* Assess technical queries and provide software engineering solutions to a wide-ranging products portfolio.
* Liaise with internal departments such as sales, procurement, and production to ensure the best technical solution is provided in all instances.
* Creation of software engineering documentation such as specifications, proposals, test plans, reports, and manuals.
* Ensuring software engineering solutions are provided on time and on budget.
* Adherence to global engineering end to end process and sub processes.
* Site visits to other offices and client assets as and when required.
* Maintenance and development of company standards and processes for software version control
* Management of software team on performance, development, allocation/delegation of work, compliance to internal and external standards & regulations as well as day to day management such as approval of holidays, sickness leave and time reporting.
* Excellent communicational skills
* The ability to work in a team and on your own when required
* Excellent organisational Skills
* Methodological approach to generating and checking documents
* Ability to take ownership and accountability of tasks and drive to completion
* A flexible approach to changing scope or client demands
* Focused on delivering cost efficient solutions on time and on budget.
Knowledge and Experience
* Relevant experience in an industrial software and firmware design environment
* Extensive experience in embedded software (MPLAB, ST32) development, test and debug
* Extensive experience with high level development languages - preferably one or more of PowerBASIC, VB, C# and C++, Dynamic C and C.
* Good software development knowledge including version control using Azure DevOps and Agile development techniques
* Experience with network protocol UDP
* Experience with serial comms protocols over RS485/232, CAN
* Experience with SQL server/client data base applications
* Experience with user interface MVC framework
* Experience with Continuous Integration (CI) tools such as Jenkins
* Experience with documentation using online Wiki
Experience with the following would be advantageous
* Product design
* Siemens STEP7 PLC coding would be advantageous
* Embedded software in safety critical applications
* Ideally around 5 years in a senior software engineering role
* Previous diving equipment design experience would be advantageous
* Software / Computer Science / Electrical/electronic engineering degree or equivalent industry experience
* Any relevant diving qualifications would be advantageous