Our client's role is to provide project controls and commercial managed services to portfolios and programmes of work across UK nuclear power stations. As part of this they will develop people capability in core project control skills and provide specialist support to Central Technical Organisations to improve project performance and deliver cost efficiencies.
As Trainee Cost Engineer you will be responsible for providing cost management support to work portfolios and will monitor, control, and forecast the costs during the Project lifecycle.
Key Responsibilities & Outcomes
* Control, monitor, analyse and report cost related aspects for designated projects within a Portfolio.
* Implement the correct and appropriate cost management tool for the project in accordance with Central Technical Organisation (CTO) Programme Office processes/templates.
* Assist in development of and use of Project Control Structures (CBS, OBS, WBS etc.).
* Understand the basis of the estimate.
* Ensure all cost and contract transactions on a project are understood and managed in an appropriate way.
* Ensure all variances to the cost baseline are communicated in a timely manner.
* Ensure the necessary cost management interface is in place with Finance and ensure regular communications.
* Support Business Planning processes.
* Active involvement in the change process, understanding the reasons for and factors influencing each change to the project's cost baseline plus the implications of such change.
* Continually monitor Project Risk and Change status to maintain current forecast.
* Review and understand, with the assistance of the Planning Engineer, the schedule progress, and its alignment to the Project Control Structure.
* Liaise with Project team members and contractors with regards to progress and financial forecasting.
* Update the Cost Tool to comply with Project Reporting Cycles.
* Monitor, control and analyse the project cost information, identify variances, and bring these to the attention of the Project Manager with possible alternatives. * Prepare specific reports to facilitate challenge and analysis to meet the project's specific needs.
* Challenge cost variances against the baseline plan with individual task leaders/contractors and/or outside stakeholder management as necessary to enable mitigation.
* Contribute to progress meetings as required in support of the Project Manager.
* Regular interfacing and integration with the project Planning Engineer to maintain an aligned financial position with the project Primavera plan.
* Contribute to the drafting and updating of Project Documents (PDD, IRM papers etc.) to ensure that they contain the project Scope of Work, KPI's, payment milestones and the methodology for controlling the project schedule, costs and variances etc.
* Contribute to Lessons Learnt process throughout the Project lifecycle.
* The individual will require previous experience of cost control together with the ability to administer transactional aspects in SAP, including order placement and accruals.
* Breadth of experience across whole project and programme lifecycle. (e.g., Engineering, Procurement, Construction, Installation/Commissioning processes)
* Working knowledge of relevant Health and Safety legislation
* High level of numeracy and excellent analytical skills.