Role: Managing Quantity Surveyor
Location: Southwark, London
Salary: Competitive, plus car allowance & benefits
Our client, who is a Major EPC Contractor, offering consultancy services in Engineering, Management and Construction, are seeking to appoint a Managing Quantity Surveyor to join their growing team, working on a number of New Build Construction project wins in Southwark, London.
The main purpose of the Managing Quantity Surveyor role is to take responsibility, ownership and accountability of the successful management and control all aspects of the commercial / financial and contractual elements of designated projects within the Division in order to control and maximise the company's profitability, protect the company's legal and contractual obligations and to manage proactively the control of all commercial issues.
This is to include managing other commercial and operational resources, ensuring applications and valuations are completed in line with the contract terms and also ensuring sub-contractors receive prompt payment and are procured in line with our contractual obligations and Commitments to Subcontractors.
In addition ensuring cost reports and the like are managed, completed on time and monitored together with overseeing all relevant commercial reporting activity necessary within the division.
- To oversee and manage the commercial teams, and where applicable operation staff as the Senior member of staff on a designated project(s) Unlikely to be only one project but may be one work type - i.e. refurb, New Build, EPB etc.
- To develop strong customer relationships with key clients and their officers
- To take overall responsibility and accountability for the commercial elements on a number of contracts
- To offer assistance, support and mentoring to other team members
- To assist and promote pre-start planning and programming
- Prepare subcontract conditions back to back with Main Contract
- Forecasting expenditure and cash-in and contribution/profit.
- To support and assist with the Estimating teams to ensure future opportunities are positively actioned to convert into tangible wins
- Sub-contract procurement and commercial management and the implementation of business systems throughout the operating structure.
- Management and control of sub-contract appointments, accounts and variation accounts.
- To authorise Commercial staffs sub-contract appointment proposals in line with the businesses profit plan and targets
- Change management control
- Profit maximisation and efficiency
- Assisting and liaising with the buyers on materials procurement and buying opportunities
- To manage the day to day cost control, monitoring and reporting
- Develop an understanding of the designated contracts, specification and pricing ensuring compliance with conditions throughout
- Assist the Managers with subcontractor selection and ensure the chosen subcontractor has the appropriate order and information to carry out their work
- Liaise with the Management teams over contractual issues and take action as required
- Measure progress, submit valuations, submit final accounts and retention release and monitor receipt of payment in a timely manner (of any designated schemes)
- Ensure that subcontractor requests for payment are appropriately processed in a timely and contractual manner
- Completing a monthly cost / valuation report and cash flow for the designation projects
- In conjunction with Divisional Directors, prepare monthly accounts/reports and submit for approval by the Regional Director - at present this is with the commercial director and Finance Director not Regional Director
- Where appropriate, assist with estimates and negotiations for future opportunities
- Attend project related meetings as deemed necessary
- Act as commercial champion for the division and attend internal and support service meetings and ensure information is circulated to managers accordingly i.e. Supply chain Committees etc.
- Ensure the company is neither compromised nor disadvantaged by any contractual or financial arrangement
- Where given the opportunity, Review contract tender conditions in parallel with the businesses Legal Counsel and accordingly ensure that where discrepancies are identified these are recorded and administered at tender stage
- Oversee staff to ensure they Manage the costs on any assigned project to ensure both the company and the client is fully advised of all commercial matters
- Sufficiently manage the financial aspects of the project to ensure the correct safety equipment is used at all times
- To interact with all staff, clients, consultants and residents in a professional manner
- Assist in ensuring company with Health & Safety
- Ensure timely cash flow management for the Client and the group, and the supply chain
- Be responsible for your safety and others around you
- Assisting the development and training of existing and new staff
- Maintaining and developing professional relationships with the Client, to help future business development
- Any other reasonable management request.
- 3 year + experience within a senior surveying position reporting to either a commercial manager or director.
To apply for this role please forward your CV to Andy.Coppock@Russell-Taylor.co.uk