We need someone who highlights the design and specification of power converters or amplifiers at the PCB level. A suitable candidate's resume will make explicit references to "design" and "specification" of a power supply or converter, typically with some quantitative description as to the performance of the power system.
The Power Engineer is responsible for participating in the research, design and development of products for the electric power generation, transmission and distribution industry. This person will be tasked with running simulations to evaluate designs and responsible for all part selections, schematic capture, and supervising the board layout. The Principal Power Engineer must be able to participate in a team environment, while managing their own assigned responsibilities. Responsibilities also include providing technical leadership to a small teams of engineers, and participating in the definition of hardware architectures for future products.
This position will be located in Glasgow, reporting to the Senior Hardware Engineering Manager.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Help bring new technologies into product architectures as solutions to the implementation of requested product functions.
- Innovate new product features based on ability to transform technical possibilities into practical realities.
- Provide technical leadership in the realm of power design.
- Participate in project team meetings.
- Design, troubleshoot, validate 400V class switching power converters, inverters and amplifiers.
- Develop schematics and supervise board layout.
- Maintain existing products including part obsolescence and new feature addition.
- Design for manufacture and compliance including EMI and safety.
- System integration in a team environment.
- Specification and development of board test fixtures.
Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering required.
- 5+years designing switch-mode power supplies.
- Hands on experience with 400V class switching power converters.
- Class-D inverter/amplifier design.
- Power topologies including AC-DC (PFC), isolated DC-DC and DC-AC experience.
- Magnetic design and specification including transformers, inductors and filter design.
- Power component selection and specification.
- Analog feedback design and acquisition.
PREFERRED EXPERIENCE (Not Required):
- FPGA or DSP based digital control.
- Simulation with PSpice, LTSpice, MATLAB, PSIM and/or Simulink.
- GAN and SiC power components.
- High precision analog design.
- Soft-switching and resonant topologies.
- Complete product life-cycle experience.
- IEC61010-1 compliance experience.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Experience as a technical leader, providing guidance to a small team of engineers.
- Knowledge of design for EMC compliance.
- Ability to provide constructive feedback and insights on others' designs.
- Ability to express ideas clearly in both written and oral communications.
- Ability to independently plan and organize one's own activities.