£competitive salary package
My client is a global main building contractor that is well established in the marketplace. They operate globally producing successful multi million-pound projects. Due to an increase in exciting project wins in they currently need a Design Manager to join their team. They focus on both large new build schemes in across residential, retail, hotel.
The Design Manager they are looking for will be working on projects on the new phases on a mulit million-pound scale. Included in the scheme is apartments, retail and housing.
The Design Manager they are looking for must be experienced in pre-construction stages of projects. You will have proven experience of planning submissions and pre construction processes of projects.
You will be attending internal and external meetings including chairing and taking accurate minutes as necessary, ensuring distribution to relevant parties, reviewing design drawings in accordance with building regulations. This is an excellent opportunity for a Design Manager to join a well-established team.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Managing the development and implementation of design proposals ensuring they meet customer requirements, including budget constraints, presenting proposals for approval to the customer. The design should deliver:
- Safety in construction and use
- Quality within affordable parameters
- Ease of maintenance, energy efficiency with minimum environmental impact
- Innovation to meet customer goals and positive impact on the local community
- Compile Contractor's Proposals for contract
- Agree Consultant appointments and the scope of services for design teams
- Liaising with the Project Planner, lead the development and management of the design deliverable schedules for each design discipline and coordinate these with procurement and construction programmes
- Liaising with the Commercial team, lead the development and implementation of design proposals, data, bid deliverables and reports within both the constraints of the contract (inclusive of BIM requirements) and internal commercial objectives
- Manage and ensure effective briefing of the Design Team including M&E elements. This includes, where necessary, the management of any 3rd parties, sub-contractor CPD elements or novated design teams to ensure that they meet all customer specification and all design interfaces are captured, and where necessary, checking the competence and resources of any incumbent design teams or 3rd parties
- Provide advice and guidance on the "buildability" of the design proposals to the design and construction teams on all packages
- Clearly communicate expectations for design deliverables with designers
- Report progress against the design deliverables programme/schedule
- Liaise with and manage submittal requirements to Client representatives, design team and third parties such as statutory bodies/authorities as required (e.g. town planning, building control and utilities)
- Organise, chair and minute design co-ordination, progress and technical workshops with the Client, design team and sub- contractors
- Review and implement (with the support of a Document Controller) design management protocols, inclusive of the electronic document control system
- Compile O&M manuals
- Capture and share best practice from the bid/project across the business
- Proactively contribute to the iterative process of reducing risk and identifying opportunities to improve profitability
- Support the delivery of the Sustainability activities
- Identify & Manage any VE opportunities to provide any commercial & programme advantages
- Identify & Manage any offsite/prefabrication opportunities to reduce on site risk
- Provide input into the procurement schedule/programme to ensure that required design periods and IRS are included.
Work Experience / Expectations
- 10 years' construction experience with a top tier Contractor
- Five years' experience as a Design Manager, working on commercial/high-rise/industrial/mix-use sectors
- An understanding of the construction process from pre-construction/tender stages through to handover
- Excellent understanding of BREEAM and Value Engineering principles
- Working knowledge of BIM requirements
- The ability to develop strong personal relationships with clients/consultants and staff
- Excellent communication and presentation skills at all levels
- Excellent IT Skills - Microsoft Excel, Outlook and Word and Power Point
- Able to meet deadlines
- In depth knowledge of working with electronic document management systems including ASITE
- Proven experience in delivering design services, successfully implanting design strategies as well as relevant project experience.
Qualification / Health & Safety Requirements
- Relevant Professional Qualifications.
- A valid CSCS card is a requirement.
To apply for the position please email your CV to email@example.com or contact me on 07585 967544