Nature of Job
The Process Operator is responsible for the safe operational control and monitoring of the Terminal operations, upgraded production plant and product quality on a shift basis.
Dimensions of Job:
- Ensuring safe working practices are followed in compliance with health, safety, security, environmental, energy and quality procedures, legislation and standards.
- Responsibility for the safe and efficient operation and monitoring of safety, environmentally and energy critical equipment as identified in and to ensure compliance with the legislation requirements associated with ageing plant.
- Responsible for quality assurance of products manufactured and distributed from site including accurate and timely documentation requirements.
- Monitoring and reporting on Environmental and Energy Management requirements in accordance with the conditions of the SEPA PPC permit and energy management objectives and targets. Compliance with the requirements of the organisations' commitment to Sustainable Development.
Accountabilities of Job:
- Safe and compliant operation of the Terminal in the manufacture, storage, blending and distribution of bitumen and non-bitumen products ensuring such products meet required specification and customer requirements.
- Understand emergency processes within a heavy manufacturing environment
- Maintaining Temperatures, blending (correct to specs) and transfer of product
- Ensuring that the required site health, safety, security, environmental, energy and quality (HSEEQ) management standards are maintained and applicable procedures are followed.
- Take the initial lead in any emergency on the site in the role of Site Incident Controller as per Emergency Plan.
- Development and training of new personnel including contracted personnel when required.
- Effective and accurate reporting of plant defects, near misses, incidents or occurrences to maintain and improve the safety, reliability and operability of the site. This requires knowledge and use of NMS, Synergi Life systems and Plant maintenance systems.
- Sampling, testing and result reporting of bitumen products as per the requirements of the site Quality Plan. Ensure that product samples are taken as required and tested according to the quality control plan and results are documented.
- Safe and efficient operation of plant and equipment in the storage, blending, distribution and manufacture of bitumen, upgraded bitumen and non-bitumen products. This requires knowledge and understanding of the Valmet distributed control system (DCS).
- Completion of clear and accurate log sheets and shift reports to record and monitor the performance of the site. This includes the accurate and timely reporting of daily product stock levels; weekly chemical stocks; weekly meter readings; daily forklift truck checks; weekend logsheets; emergency shower checks; complete month end stocks and to support the annual externally accredited stock check
- Safe and efficient control of polymer modified bitumen production, effluent treatment plants and site utilities.
- Safe and efficient control and monitoring of site utility systems comprising steam boilers, hot oil heaters, air compressors and effluent treatment plant.
- Measuring and reporting of required environmental monitoring data including emissions from site combustion units.
- Safe and effective issuing of permits to work and the control of contractors on site as per requirements of procedures and Permit to Work System.
- Management of required shipping documentation and the safe handling and connection of flexible hoses to incoming bitumen and non-bitumen vessels. Safe and effective manning of all vessels / ships to ensure site minimum manning levels are implemented.
- Ensuring the safe and efficient loading of all bitumen and non-bitumen products to road tankers using required loading systems.
- To provide operational support to preventative, breakdown and demand maintenance on systems, equipment and services.
- To contribute to and implement HSSEEQ requirements relating to risk assessments, standard operating procedures, incident / accident investigations, workplace inspection audits, process safety audits, permit to work audits and legal compliance audits.
- To safely receive and store incoming raw materials with effective use of the forklift truck.
- Ownership of housekeeping standards across the Terminal site and its boundaries.
- Support site, business and corporate initiatives as required.