Role: Senior Quality and Calibration Engineer
Location: Hemel Hempstead
Salary: Highly Competitive
Russell Taylor Group has a fantastic opportunity for a Senior Quality and Calibration Engineer to join our clients Testing Laboratory based in Hemel Hempstead. You will provide a robust calibration and quality control service essential for maintaining the consistent availability of calibrated and serviceable measuring equipment coincident with business needs to ensure accuracy in the testing performed.
- To liaise with clients, and advise on the status of work to facilitate premier customer service & on-time delivery on all work and projects.
- Respond to customer queries and provide technical support.
- Responsibility for conducting measurements and calibrations to high levels of accuracy and traceability. Use experience as a technical expert, taking lead to review standards, writing procedures and similar work in the calibration department as a subject matter expert.
- Verifying internal & external calibration results and deciding if calibration labels can be issued
- Advice and provision of training in the use of equipment and safe working practises to ensure an appropriate level of competence.
- Responsible for preparing safe working practises essential in performing calibration
- Developing new calibration methodology and proposing the calibration equipment options as required
- Managing and prioritise calibration programmes to achieve defined turnaround times and deadlines to enable the smooth running of the Labs
- Perform internal audits between Laboratories
- Competent to perform adjustments to defined items of measuring equipment.
- Advising on suitable external suppliers able to perform repair work on equipment.
- Providing advice on calibration issues relating to the purchase or construction of test equipment for existing and new areas of work.
- Preparation of uncertainty budgets
- Using expert knowledge in the preparation and revision of equipment data sheets.
- Preparing calibration schedules and programmes for individual items of, particularly new, equipment
- Preparing, with technical support, the calibration methodology for individual equipment
- Support new project work by participating in the development of new equipment & design.
- Ensure work instructions and procedures are up to date and reflect current practices within the Labs.
- Customer satisfaction of the service delivery and accuracy of results.
- Accurate verification and correct issue of calibration labels
- Achieving calibration turnaround times
- Training and mentoring of the calibration engineers
- Maintain staff training and equipment records
- Extensive knowledge of the calibration equipment in use and the measuring equipment involved across all Laboratories
- Has a strong experience of working in a 17025 and UKAS accredited company?
- A broad-based technical knowledge, from HND in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering and or direct industrial experience of no less than 5 years. This should include practical experience in an environment using specifications and technical instructions and calibrating equipment accordingly.
- The capability and experience to develop or advice on the preparation of uncertainty budgets i.e. the calculation from first principles using derived data of the inherent inaccuracies in measuring equipment.
- The knowledge and experience to provide advice upon calibration issues relating to the purchase of measuring equipment plus, planning skills; good communication and interpersonal skills; concentration, patience and attention to detail.
- Ability to understand and compile safe working practises and use judgement in their application particularly when working alone. Capable of undertaking individual equipment calibrations whilst operating alone and without supervision or confirmation of work.
- Measurement and maintenance of key quality metrics such as SPC, FTT, and other problem-solving tools within Lean and Six Sigma.
- Has experience of working in a laboratory testing environment.
Keywords: Calibration Engineer, Measuring equipment, Test Laboratory, Test Rigs, Accurate Testing,